Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Book Launch: Committing

DPP_115

Friends, my first novel "Committing" is now, officially, ready for the public.
It is available in both print and digital formats, so let me do some quick shopkeeping and then we can chat.

To order a paperback copy ($10.99) from the Create Space eStore click here.
To order a paperback copy ($10.99) from Amazon, click here.

The difference? There really isn't one since Create Space is owned by Amazon but if you have an Amazon Prime account you'll probably save money on shipping through Amazon (Also, I get a slightly higher royalty through Create Space. I hate to even bring that up, but there you have it).

To purchase a digital copy on Kindle ($4.99) click here.

*Disclaimer* My paragraph formatting got a little messed up on the Kindle version. My first line indents are gone, which in some places can make a whole page look like one daunting block of text. Let's pretend this was an artistic choice.

Now that that's done, let's talk about the book.

I started writing Committing shortly after moving back to Utah from New York in 2012. It's a relatively short book (just over 30,000 words) but nonetheless took me two years to complete. It is also my first attempt at fiction – besides a few short stories in college – so bear that in mind.
The book is about a group of friends in their mid-20s dealing with the transition into adulthood. In particular, it's about a man named Charles, who has just lost his best friend to cancer, and who is having a hard time embracing the next stage of his life.

For regular readers of my blog who may be expecting comedy, this book is decidedly a drama. I would say it is similar in tone to the last installment of My Life Online or some of my Quarter Century posts.

*Disclaimer No. 2* There is a small degree of adult content in this book, specifically language and sexual innuendo. If you prefer to not read that type of thing I understand completely and thank you for your support either way. It is not my intention to make anyone uncomfortable (including myself, since I will inevitably be hearing about it from my mother).

*Disclaimer No. 3* This book is, above all, a work of fiction. You'll see why I say that after you've read it.

You can read the entire second chapter for free here to whet your appetite, but note that there may have been some minor changes since I posted that excerpt.

I just want to thank everyone for their encouragement over the last two years as I've been working on this. A lot of people chimed in and read early drafts (and you'll see them listed in the acknowledgments section of the book) and also a big shout out to JP Allen for creating the cover image and Erin Jacobs for finalizing the cover design.

I hope you enjoy the book and I can't wait to hear your feedback, good or bad (I self-edited, so yes, there are going to be spelling errors). As a final plea, if you do take the time to read it, please go on Amazon and write a review. It exponentially increases the amount of exposure I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment