Wednesday, August 29, 2012

An Open Letter to Aaron Sorkin: Hire Me!



Dear Mr. Sorkin,

Let me begin by saying that I love "The Newsroom." As a contributor to, and consumer of, the greater news media, the themes of journalistic integrity, ethics, truth and accountability pursued by your characters is something too often flippantly disregarded in the ever-adapting and ever-changing landscape of our profession.

I also thank you for your portrayal of a sensible, critical-thinking Republican in the form of Will McAvoy. As a registered member of the party myself, I have watched in abject horror as radical interests and uninformed masses have drug the Grand Old Party through a quagmire of our own making. I too value compromise in government, reason in debate and the benefit of additional and fact-based information in the decision-making process. Many people say they are "Reagan Republicans." I, Mr. Sorkin, am a "McAvoy Republican."

I am writing to you today to offer my services as a writer for the upcoming second season of The Newsroom. With the nomination of Mitt Romney as the Republican Party's candidate for president, it behooves you -- if you don't mind my saying -- to have a practicing member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on your staff. Even better would be a practicing Mormon who is a political moderate, has a background in news reporting and an interest in creative writing.

I, Mr. Sorkin, am your man.

My name is Benjamin Wood. I am a 25-year-old journalist based out of Salt Lake City Utah. I am a newsman, a lover of film and television, an avid reader and a published and award-winning film and entertainment reviewer. I have worked at small community newspapers, metropolitan media outlets and one national entertainment magazine.

Now, I want to work for you. And I'll do it for free, because it truly would be an honor to join you and your staff on a mission to civilize.

Best regards,

Benjamin Wood

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this show, but was entertained by this post. I think you should send it to the people in charge. That would be a cool experience and what if it all started because of this post. :)

    ReplyDelete