Saturday, June 2, 2012

Two Wood Uke: Temper Trap's Need Your Love [VIDEO]

I know, I've been a little video crazy lately, but we had the whole family together for Memorial Day and I was practicing the Uke and one thing led to another and here we are with another edition of the


I know, I’ve been a little video crazy lately, but we had the whole family together for Memorial Day and I was practicing the Uke and one thing led to another and here we are with another edition of the Von Trapp Wood Family Singers.

It also presented me with a predicament regarding my Nom de Uke, when I perform with my mother it's TWO Wood Uke, when I perform alone it's ONE Wood Uke. What do I do when there TWO Woods but only ONE Uke?

(read more after the jump)



You can hear the real version of this song here.

I suppose I should introduce my brother. Jacob Wood, a.k.a Big Woody Style, former frontman of Dishwoody and the Burritos, whose music you can hear on mine and Tyler Barlow's two Fringe Film Festival submissions -- Great Expectations and Loved and Lost.

It's kind of fun to actually have a video of me and my brother side to side. I get told on a weekly basis that we're twins (when in actuality he is much, much, MUCH older than me). In fact, a friend was recently at my house and said "oh Ben, that's a nice picture of you," while pointing over at a mantel. It was actually a photograph of my brother, circa 2008, smiling that winning grin of his in a red Christmas sweater. He's in sales, it fits him.

But, as you can see, there's plenty of differences between us. His hair is straight, mine is wavy. He prefers warm color tones whereas I tend toward a cool palette. Also, my head is evidently much larger than his.

I love the Temper Trap, and as I said on the video their sophomore album (also called "The Temper Trap") is set to be released in the U.S. on Tuesday.

Did he say Sophomore? Yes, their freshman album "Conditions" is face-meltingly awesome and if you are not yet familiar with it yet I suggest you find yourself a copy/download/spotify as soon as possible (after your done reading this, of course).

If you're wondering where you've heard them before it's likely you caught their breakout song "Sweet Disposition" on the (500) Days of Summer Soundtrack. In my opinion that song, that soundtrack and that movie are perfect. That's not to say that every movie should be (500) Days, that simply means that as a film it did a whole lot of things right and nothing wrong (as evidence I give you this scene, and this one as well, sorry about the Spanish subtitles). If you clicked on the Great Expectations link above, you probably noticed that I'm a big fat (500) Days copy cat. Sidebar, my movie review of (500) Days won 1st place at the Utah Headliner's awards. That's right, I'm awesome.

So who are the Trap? They're a London-based Australian indie rock/pop which lately has turned up the Pop nob while turning down the Rock. Normally, that would turn me off but the smooth vocals of Dougy Mandagi and the experimental instrumentation just warms my soul. I sadly haven't been able to listen to all of the "The Temper Trap" (the album) yet but come June 5 if anyone is wondering why I'm not answering my phone it'll be because I'm lying on my back in the grass, looking up at the sky with a pair of over-the-ear headphone pumping some Trap into my head from sun-up to sun-down.

No comments:

Post a Comment