Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Quarter Century: Soundtrack of My Life


This week's Entertainment Weekly (hey, remember when I used to work there? That was fun) had an interview with the amazingly-talented Florence Welch (love her) called The Soundtrack of My Life.

As I read Mz. Welch's picks for the songs that she carried with her I couldn't help but start making a list of my own. AND, since I'll never be famous, no one will ever interview ME about the soundtrack of my life so I'm forced to interview myself (if you want something done right...)

The first song I was obsessed with:

I come from a very musical family so I was breaking into song from a very young age. The first CD I ever owned, however, was Semisonic's "Feeling Strangely Fine," which showcased their one-hit-wonder single "Closing Time." I was 12 or 13 so the fact that it was about picking up randos at a bar completely went over my head, much like how Eve 6's "Here's To the Night" ode to one night stands completely went over my head a few years later.

The song that reminds me of my first kiss:

I think I've blogged this story before but my first kiss came during a viewing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Again, I was a teenager so I was weirded out of my mind so shortly after "Time Warp" I decided that I had better things to do with my time, lips and tongue. I had braces at the time, I will always hold that girl in my heart for being so charitable.

The song that reminds me of home:

My parents are Golden-Oldie fans so my childhood was a lot of early-era Beatles hits like "Money Can't Buy Me Love" or Simon and Garfunckle tunes. If I had to pick one song, though, I'd probably go with "Henry the XIII" by Herman's Hermans. Everytime I hear it I can see my mom seeing along in the kitchen while she mixes dough of some kind in the same old mixer that still sits in the lazy Susan. If I could pick 2, the second would be Suzie Q by CCR.

The song that reminds me of college:

Since I'm only one year out of college I'm going to answer the song that reminds me of Freshman year. I actually have a whole playlist devoted to my time in the dorms (Shiny Toy Guns, The Academy Is, All-American Rejects) but the one song that really backdrops the memories is "La La Lie" by Jack's Mannequin. I saw him perform that year in the venue and when I play it on the piano the line that says "I've got friends who help me pull through" always brings the Alva Heights gang to mind.

The song that makes me cry:

I don't cry, I may in fact be a robot. "Brick" by Ben Folds is really sad though.

The song that reminds me of my first love:

The entire (500) Days of Summer soundtrack reminds me of Katie but especially the cover of "Here Comes Your Man." We listened to that soundtrack whenever we drove anywhere but would always rock out in the car to HCYM.

The song people might not expect me to love:

"Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground. That song is freaking awesome. Honorable mentions include "Don't Lie" by the Black Eyed Peas and "Boys in the Hood" by Dynamite Hack.

My favorite song to perform:

I have quite a few that I always go back to (Straylight Run, Keane, the aforementioned Jack's and Folds) but just about every time I sit down at the piano I find myself playing "Boston" by Augustana. It's the perfect combination of a simple but solid piano line and fits pretty well in my range.

The song I wish I had written:

"Someone Like You" by Adele. It has one of the easiest piano parts in the world but it's all you need when you pair it with the perfect voice (her's, not mine). That song is the musical equivalent of the Greek ideal: simplicity, perfection and order.

The song I play when I'm getting ready to go out:

I don't really have any ONE particular song but two come to mind. "Me and Mia" by Ted Leo and the Pharmacists always gets me pumped up and oddly enough, before a date I like to rock out to Julio Iglesias' "Moonlight Lady." That song is a freaking jam.

My karaoke song:

I love karaoke but I haven't had many opportunities to do it because to do kareoke right you have to go to a bar and to go to a bar you have to have friends who drink. Now that I'm back in Utah... My quick answer is "Build Me Up Buttercup" by The Foundations but I've been thinking lately that if I auditioned for The Voice I'd singe "Change Your Mind" by the Killers.

3 comments:

  1. I need to do this with my life one day. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember her singing that one that much. But definitely all the early beatles. What about Hello, goodbye. Also what about Wendy, Or Windy? You know - "Who's reaching down to capture a rainbow, everyone knows it's wendy" Or Hard days night. That was classic van song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to read even though I admittedly don't know all the songs. I would like to do this but you know me, I'd say "Oh that one song that says this in the chorus...not sure who it's by..." :) But I knew some of them and can I say that I love Moonlight Lady? :)
    (ps Katie, it's Windy. - I could sing along with all those songs too!)

    ReplyDelete