Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Post-Oscar Post


Don't you just love when the Academy gets it right? I sure do.

Once again my Oscar Ballot got completely murdered. My friends have a tendency to just go online and copy down the predictions of some "expert" whereas I consider each category personally. I also tend to vote with my heart and not with my head, which means I'm wrong a lot.

But not on what matters. The Artist and its director Michael Hazavanicious (spelling likely wrong) took home their well-deserved trophies, as did "Man or Muppet," my boy Jim Rash (who also launched the internet meme of "jolie-ing") and A Separation for foreign film.

I was wrong, but not surprised, about Christopher Plummer and Octavia Spencer's supporting wins and I was wrong AND surprised by Jean Dujardin and Meryl Streep's acting wins. I thought George and Viola had it in the bag and I can't help but feel bad for Glenn Close, how many times does she have to sit in the audience and watch Streep make a colorfully endearing acceptance speech? Poor thing.

Also, how awesome is Billy Crystal? Sure, it didn't blow me away but THE host's 9th outing was a solid, respectable, pleasing success and after so many dismal failures that's just what I wanted. For next year I just wish Hugh Jackman would get off his high horse and host again.

Best Moments.
  • LOVED Emma Stone, hated the bow on her dress. Why can't we just let her do everything.
  • Jim Rash, pure genius.
  • Dujardin's sudden outburst of French joy (or whatever the french have in place of joy)
  • Billy Crystal and George's kiss
  • Christopher Plummer's acceptance speech. "You're 2 years older than me, darling, where have you been all my life?"
  • Jason Segel emotionally effected by McKenzie's acceptance
  • Cirque du Soleil, I had my doubts but they pulled it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment