Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: A Wood's Stock retrospective


*Suggested audio accompaniment for this post. Click here.

My year began on the roof of The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas which, if I do say so myself, if a pretty decent way to ring in the new. As I write this, it is unseasonably warm in New York City which is ironic because exactly one year ago it was unseasonably cold in the city of sin. We sat by the side of the pools, enjoying the view of the Strip below, laughing and joking with revelers and huddling together for body warmth.


Six days later I turned 24, which I still have a hard time believing. For the longest time my residual self-image was a geeky 17-year-old kid with acne and while I have admitted to some aging, I still see myself as a 21-year-old in peak physical condition. *Sigh*

I hate birthdays, always have, but love that mine always happened to fall within Christmas Vacation because it allowed me to do exactly what I wanted to do during the day with as minimal human contact as possible. I decided that for 2011 I wanted to go snowboarding, eat Brazilian food and then watch Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I would post a picture here of me on a snowboard but despite my incessant nagging, Tyler Barlow (who purports to be technologically inclined) has YET to upload them. Fail.


2011, I expect, will be notable in my memory for two reasons: my quarter-life crisis and, similarly, my graduating year at Utah State University. It was the year that saw my transition from rabble-rousing student journalist at The Utah Statesman to starving journalist desperate for work in the daily grind. I went from the editor in chief of a publication, responsible for keeping a steady hand on objectivity while still shining a light on the conversations that the community at large had -- and would try to -- silence to an intern, scrambling to make any noticeable impression I could between shifts of sorting mail (*note, I never had to sort any mail at The Des, I was extremely well-treated there).


I think I'll remember 2011 for the stories I wrote, as well. It was the year that I went to Sundance, declared war against the sense of social entitlement at USU, covered the sentencing of Brian David Mitchell, got a statement from the family of a murdered Salt Lake woman and interviewed Bruce Campbell. I stood in crime scenes and red carpets, press conferences and press screenings. I also saw Wood's Stock hit 1,000 monthly readers, which makes me very proud.


In other student news, I returned to Vegas for to see The Aggies win the WAC championship and lost quite a bit of money on the roulette table (I would say the amount but my mom reads this blog and she hasn't heard that story yet). No regrets, though. I relayed for life and helped raise thousands of dollars for Cancer research and finally scratched "crowd surf" off of my bucket list at the Hare Krishna festival of light.


Then I graduated, alongside some of my closest friends.


As far as personal growth, I kept my m.o. of falling out of contact with nearly everyone in my life during transitions periods. Admittedly Facebook makes keeping up the appearance of friendship easier, so thanks for that one Zuckie. So, to all of you out there who haven't heard from me in a while, I'm sorry and just remember that even though I hate phone calls I'm still thinking about you, value our time together and hope you're doing well.

Also, I'm either maturing -- or becoming more introverted, funny how similar that can be sometimes -- because most nights after I get home from work I just want to take it easy, read a book, watch some tv and fall asleep before midnight. I've managed to compartmentalize my need for diversion to the weekends which is, I think, a healthy thing to do. As a sidenote, I'm halfway through the book I'm writing that I planned on finishing during the summer, then during November, then by January and now by March. Progress, nonetheless.


I lived in 3 different cities this year. Three apartments for a combined total of 8 different roommates. In Logan it was Tony that didn't wash his dishes, in Salt Lake it was everyone but me, Al and Will and in Queens it's Jared who, by the way, blew his nose 30 times this morning. Yes, I counted and yes, it was an even 30. I've needed a reading lamp since May but I don't want to buy anything until I've "settled." Right now I don't care where I live, I just want a reading lamp, a gym membership and some potted plants.


I hate to skim over the last half of the year but it's too fresh. I've seen Broadway shows (best, How To Succeed, worst, Spiderman by a long shot) and concerts, (special shout out to Carbon Leaf, The Decemberists and Ted Leo) gone to world-famous museums (The Met, no contest) and landmarks. I'm working at my "dream" job where I watch endless amounts of movies and tv and interview celebrities but at the cost of my other dream of having enough living space to do pushups in the morning and a front lawn large enough to hose the mud off of my mountain bike (two more items missing from my life, the bike itself and the activity for which it attracts the mud), oh yeah and I really miss driving. And in theory, I'm supposed to meet someone and get married at some point and since my name isn't Woodstein I'm not sure I'm in the right place. New York has been great, and it will be a fantastic memory looking back after I've moved on to whatever comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment