Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New Girl: A point of clarification


I realized today that I have been overly negative in my discussion of Fox's new hit sitcom "New Girl" starring Zooey Deschanel and my actual opinion on the series may have been misunderstood. I wrote that I hated the pilot, and I did, but in the wake of Fox's announcement that the show has been picked up for a full 24 episode season I truly could not be happier for Zooey D and the gang.

While I hold that the pilot was uninspired I do feel that the series shows promise and regardless of my personal disappointment in episode one I feel the show has potential. I gave the pilot episode a "C" rating, which I stand by, but would like to now, after further reflection on the matter, change my classification of the show to "Keep an Eye On."

A "C" is no "D" and certainly no "F." What's more, there are so many shows on TV whose entire existences barely register a blip on the radar of my cultural consciousness (here's lookin' at you Body of Proof, Private Practice, The Middle and Rules of Engagement). Quite honestly, there are many times when I'll see a promo for a show and think to myself "What that frack is that?" or even worse "That show is still on the air?" What's more, thanks to the generally low level of America's intelligence, primetime television is still a wasteland of reality TV trash (Idol, X Factor, DWTS, SYTYCD, Bachelor, Bachelor Pad, ANTM, Project Runway, etc.).


What my point? My point is that for all its flaws, I still consider New Girl to be of a quality required for the pantheon of shows "worth talking about." It belongs in the discussion of pop culture relevance and I hold out hope that the writers will take the many poignant criticisms that critics have made and improve the show. It has a likeable star at its center and a cast of relatable characters that if played right can reach across demographics and (as many feminists have already begun pointing out) usher in a new age of gender-neutral programming -- notice I say gender neutral. Anyone who thinks TV is man's land is a blind fool (see: Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, the aforementioned Bachelor Pad, etc).

So, Zooey D. I don't like the show, but when I've got an extra 22 minutes I'll check it out every now and then to see what's going on. In the meantime, enjoy your record-breaking ratings and sing your heart out.

2 comments:

  1. If the pilot was bad, the second episode was an abortion. It had terrible timing, and the jokes that were worthy of a giggle lacked substance. I hope it gets better, but as of right now, non of the characters are likable. The only think keeping me tuning in is Zooey herself; not her character, but her. The same holds true for why I watch "Whitney." 'nuf said...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more, Ben. How can I totally dismiss something from Ms ZD?

    ReplyDelete