Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Shoot


Last week, my brilliant photographer-extraordinaire sister of Illumine Photography graciously allowed me to tag along on one of her photo shoots. We've talked about doing this before but could never quite make it work while I lived in Logan. In theory I was supposed to shoot video with my Canon but we both kind of forgot about that until we were already on our way home. Next time.

I had never really worked with gear before. Most of my photography falls in the category of novice recreation to novice photojournalism, the latter of which does not allow for digital manipulation or fancy set ups. To really go n00b on you, I only own a kit lens for my little Cannon Rebel, but as we men say all through our lives it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.


The model was a friend of Mandie's. She is, as you will gather from the pictures, a flag twirler and I was under explicit instructions from my sister not to fall in love with her.


We headed out to the salt flats which are, despite their barrenness and unpleasant smell, one of Utah's coolest features -- and a frequent Hollywood favorite for movie sets. The weather was good and hot and sunny, just like we we wanted it, with these great clouds rolling through in the background.



Throw in a dose of the dilapidated ruins of the Great Saltair and we had plenty to do.


I often ask myself what the difference is between my work and the true professionals. Obviously, they have years of experience that shows in their work both in the shooting and editing process but there has to be something, I would say, that I'm lacking that makes my pictures so obviously amateur. The answer is lighting. Look at the above two pictures, I like them both but the difference is that for the second shot I had a mounted light that was digitally calibrated to my shutter. The sky is bluer, the clouds look awesome, and yet there's still that flare from the sun peeking in through the doorframe. Just like J.J. Abrams, I'm a sucker for flare.

Two awesome things. #1. Colorful graffiti

#2. Dead trains.

Check out the rest on Facebook. Tell me what you like/don't like. This is the first of, hopefully, many.

1 comment:

  1. It's a cool flare! Oh I wish I could have come too. I really want to start improving on my photography skills!

    ReplyDelete