Friday, April 29, 2011

Senior Year Bucket List: The Quad


1. Sleep on the Quad or Old Main Hill
2. *no longer possible
3. Become a true Aggie one more time

One of my favorite articles that I ever wrote was last year when I was an assistant editor on The Statesman feature's desk. I pulled a "ride-along" with 2 officers of the USU police department after a basketball game.

There wasn't a lot of action, it's Logan after all, but the experience was great. One of the things I love about my job is the times I get to peek behind the curtain and cruising in the back seat of a black and white really changes your image of a police officer. Sidenote* in my 4 years at The Statesman I've had many opportunities to work with USUPD and they are a great group of individuals. Easily one of my favorite organizations on campus.

So, we're riding around trading war stories and one of the officers mentions how there's always someone on campus - walking around, playing frisbee, sleeping on the quad. When he said that my interest was piqued.

"Do you make them leave?"
"No," he said, "there's no curfew on campus. As long as your not a disturbance you're fine."

Hearing that my mind immediately seized upon a desire to camp out on the quad and ever since then I've been trying to do it. You would think it would be easy, but convincing your friend to set up camp when their beds are literally less than a mile away is no simple task. Not to mention, Logan is a frigid wasteland for most of the school year.

So, with the end approaching we bundled up and headed to the quad. Trevor brought his 9-man tent that he scored for free in a "finder's keepers" snag and we all sat around snacking, chatting, and playing the odd game of Quad-quet (croquet, wait for it, on the quad).

When we finally called it a night the wind was howling (of course it was) and rustling the tent like crazy but with nine people in one tent it didn't get very cold.

The major hiccup we had was when a group of (presumably) freshman jumped on the tent siding and in the process kneed my friend Dave in the eye. He and his wife called it quits, an unfortunate casualty of the quad.

2 comments:

  1. what was number 2?
    3. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Dumb freshmans. What was #2?

    ReplyDelete