Monday, January 24, 2011

A Day at Sundance

6:10 a.m. Woke up. I told myself that I could only hit snooze once...I snoozed 3 times.
6:30 a.m. Really woke up, threw some clothes in the drier – won't be time later.
6:40 a.m. Wolf down some breakfast. Staying at my parents house so who knows what's in the fridge. Something made of fruit and an english loaf of bread. It's like a giant english muffin cut in slices, delicious!
7:00 a.m. Mandie is outside waiting in the car.
8:10 a.m. In line at the Eccles theater. Refill my Sundance Nalgene water bottle – gotta stay hydrated. Chat with a festival programmer about the festival.
8:43 a.m. Take my seat. I'm a kid in a candy store. My row stays oddly empty around me for quite some time, I swear I showered.

9:20 a.m. Lights dim for "Win Win," here we go.
11:06 a.m. Film ends, great show. Q&A with Director Tom McCarthy. No Paul Giamatti? Amy Ryan? Lame.
11:46 a.m. Back in line for "Like Crazy." Talkin' shop with a guy named Scott who works for NBC. We get to the subject of the Globes, he thinks the nominations were as big a joke as I do. The guy freaking WORKS in 30 Rock and I'm chattin' with him about the Globes, crazy.
12:01 p.m. Back in my seat. This time I'm sitting next to a couple form Santa Monica, very nice, they ask me about Utah.
2:00 p.m. Q&A with the cast and crew including Anton Yelchin and Felicity Jones and some punk from Twilight, glad that he's finding time to do SOMETHING of value.

2:45 p.m. Stop by headquarter. Free massage? No thanks I'm good. Soda and Granola bars? Well ok, I could use a snack.
3:00 p.m. Not enough time to go to main street and back so I step into fresh market to buy a sandwich.
3:45 p.m. In line at the Holiday Village for a press screening of "The Future." No one interesting in this line, in hindsight it was a sign of things to come for the movie.
4:10 p.m. In my seat. Press people are apparently not as good as the public on the whole "don't save seats thing." Media, hmph, who needs 'em. This is my 3rd time having to watch the pre-show snowflake design and it's starting to trip me out.
6:00 p.m. Movie's over, heading to main street to kill some time. "Future" was so-so, odd looking people living odd lives and a very annoying voice-over Cat narrator. Yes, cat.
7:30 p.m. got to main street too late, all the venues have switched over to private parties and I'm apparently not legit enough to be on "the list." Walk up and down a bit and people watch, huge crowds are pressed against the window of the Bing bar trying to catch a glimpse of ANYONE remotely famous. Maybe I'm just a jaded journalist but seriously, it's not that big of a deal.

7:35 p.m. Street performer on a piano. He biked it up with some trailer rig. Impressive. More impressive would be seeing how in the world he bikes a piano DOWN a snowy main street. Props dude, and plays well.
8:00 p.m. Give up on Main Street, head down to New Frontier, some crazy "future of film" kind of thing. It actually turns out to be a little more interesting than I thought. Picture below is of movies projected on the surface of CDs.



8:30 p.m. Leave New Frontier, grab some asian tacos from a van. SO FREAKING DELICIOUS. Eat on the street while I wait for my bus and flirt with the volunteer with Blue Hair.

8:45 p.m. Check in at the Press line for "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold." I'm early and "The Ledge" crowd is a handful so they tell me to leave and comeback in a half hour. I walk back to the Fresh Market and get a caramel spice cider – mmmmmm – from the mini-Starbucks inside. Two teenage girls with Arizona Ice Teas make a point to walk past me three times. What is the deal with Arizonas? These hipsters are a bunch of quacks, you're 18! Drink a freakin' soda!
8:50 p.m. Step into the Yarrow hotel on my way back to the tent to go through some of my notes and enjoy my cider. Enjoy it I do.
9:10 p.m. Back in the tent and back in line.

9:45 p.m. No one in line to really talk to. Turns out the guy in front of me is from The Onion (love it). He's being interviewed by another journalist about a book he just wrote so I eavesdrop. Sidebar: the interviewers fly was down during the entirety of this interview.

10:10 p.m. In my seat for TGMEV. Fourth time today, little sleep, the Snoflake graphic is beginning to speak to me.
12:00 p.m. All done. Spurlock is the man. Now I just have to kill an hour until Mandie gets out of "Troll Hunter." I head back up to main street but the crowds are crazy and all the bars are charging covers now.
12:45 p.m. Hangin' out in the lobby of the Marriot. Refill my water bottle – gotta stay hydrated – and talk to Katie on the phone about all the men in her life. It's not so bad, I'm actually half asleep.
2:07 p.m. Picked up by Mandie, head for home. It's about an hour drive and then I'm gotta be up at 6:00 to do it all again.

3 comments:

  1. 3:15 a.m. pulled over by cop because Mandie has been up 22plus hours straight and is driving too fast. Gets off with a warning, keeps driving... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun. I liked the play by play. Sad about being pulled over - sigh, they won't give warnings here and tickets cost $300...uh, not that I would know by personal experience...dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps: argh, take your word verification off your blog. Does it really help? They're quickly becoming such a pet peve for me. The whole word should revolt against them.

    ReplyDelete