Monday, May 3, 2010

The Delegation

















I'm going to tell you this upfront, being a delegate is kind of annoying.

I'm into politics, and I'm a republican. I don't think either of those things is a surprise to anyone. When the Republican caucuses were held last month I attended, partly out of curiosity, and partly out of an altruistic sense of civic duty. While I wasn't planning to pursue a delegacy (not a word) I was open to the idea that since I live in a student-heavy area of Logan I could easily get one.

After all the pomp and circumstance it was clear that no one of the dozen or so people present was interested in attending the state convention, so I put my hat in the ring and was selected. After that some pip-squeek home-school-ee decided that if I was going to adequately represent him I needed to know his views on tax breaks for private- and home-schoolers.

Sorry wack-job, get a job and go to school.

So there I was, Mr. Benjamin Wood-the Delegate. At first it was pretty cool, candidates calling me on the phone to discuss my opinion of "the issues" and being able to tell them what I was looking for in my candidate.

Then the senate race heated up.

Every single day I get 7 calls from automated messages via Mike Lee, Tim Bridgewater, Bob Bennett, and the ever-annoying Cheralyn Eager (I'm "Eager" to be your candidate, gag me). After that, I get about 3 daily calls from "breif" public opinion pollers. Yes, if the election were today I would vote for Bob Bennett. Yes, I disapprove of Obamacare. Yes, while it is completely unfathomable that Sarah Palin ever be a legitimate candidate for the presidency in 2012, I would probably vote for her over Capt. Barrack.

Day in, day out I am bombarded by "the issues."

Last week I attended a meet the candidates debate and listened intently while some angry member of the audience drilled Mike Lee for 10 minutes about "automatic delegates." For those of you who don't know what those are, let me suffice it to say that NO ONE cares about automatic delegates, and a candidates particular stance on this issue will in no way sway the outcome of any election, EVER. Still, we wasted 10 minutes will Mr. Lee attempted to deliver a satisfactory answer to the banal idiocy of his questioner.

The convention is this Saturday. I'm most likely voting for Bennet unless Mike Lee somehow dazzles me. I don't like Bridgewater, he sounds like a chain-smoking robot and his face seems to be frozen in place.

And don't even get me started on Cheralyn Eager.

No comments:

Post a Comment