Sunday, April 11, 2010

An Exerpt -- Trespasses

Haven't done this in a while, so we're going to go into the archives.

My first attempt at writing a novel was something called "Trespasses" that I began my senior year of high school (in case your counting, that was 5 years ago). The story was going to seep with embedded symbolism and I made it 10 single-spaced pages in before throwing in the towel. I had actually thought that I deleted it, but in the process of transferring my files onto my new laptop it turned up.

I have mixed feeling about it, obviously, but this particular passage always makes me smile. The main character is based on myself, and this particular scene stems from my shattered relationship with my high-school girlfriend Camille. Enjoy!

She wanted marriage. He didn’t. It’s not that he didn’t care about her, just that in his head it seemed best for her if they ended it; he didn’t want her to waste her time and had no intention of growing up anytime soon. Besides, he was only 26.


-But I don’t want anyone else, I want you.

-This really is best for you, in a few weeks you’ll realize that.


He had actually ended it accidentally a few weeks prematurely when he tried to talk to her about “what they were doing.” He hadn’t meant to cut her off completely but she took what he was saying for a dumping and immediately ran off to play the jealousy game and wallow in her own self pity. Paul wasn’t exactly crushed because he was trying to suggest dating other people anyway and her little tantrum had saved him about twenty minutes of phone conversation. However, she was devastated and mutual friends loved reminding him so he eventually had to call her and give her the closure talk and tie up all the loose ends.


-How is it that after all this time you don’t care at all?

-Oh, come on, you know that’s not true.

-Then why did things have to change, why did anything have to happen?

-This really is best for you, in a few weeks you’ll realize that.


What exactly is closure? And for that matter, why do women depend on it so exclusively for their emotional survival? Is it really that hard to accept things changing and adapt without someone spelling out every detail of how they feel? Why can’t a man just say, I’m not what your looking for, we’ll be friends, you’ll find someone else?


-But I don’t want someone else I want you.

-This really is best for you, in a few weeks you’ll realize that.


Yelling.

Gunshot.


Paul awoke with a start, unsure of where he was and breathing very heavily. The trees outside rustled in the fall wind and the streets were silent. He laid back down on his pillows and stared wide-eyed at the ceiling; a single bead of sweat slowly ran down his brow.

1 comment:

  1. I like the repetition of the statement: "This really is best for you, in a few weeks you’ll realize that."
    You should totally write a novel. I would love to but the process seems way daunting and somewhat unreachable. I realize I should start with short stories and go from there. Anyway I enjoyed reading it - even though I'm an advocate of closure. :)

    ReplyDelete