Friday, March 5, 2010

At least I'm not as Smart as I used to be


I got my first C last week. To be even more accurate, I got a C-. Prior to this my lowest was a B maybe even B+.

The class? Mass media law with Penny Byrne.
The assignment? Case study #1.

With almost no instruction or prior knowledge whatsoever, we were given the task of writing the defense brief for a hypothetical newspaper sued with defamation. We needed to argue the reasons why this Jane Doe had no case, using other cases as precedent, and ask the judge for summary judgment.

I pride myself on being a good writer. I can't built a bomb, I don't know the molecular structure of iron, but if you do I can interview and tell everybody else.

When I got my Case Study back, quickly scribbled notes of "Poor Writing!" "Weak Argument" and my personal favorite "Nonsense!" adorned the margins of the page.

The best part, I have no idea what I did wrong. I worked hard and early on that assignment and even now I'm not sure what I would change if I were able to re-write.

Se la vie, this is Media Law. I guess 23 is about old enough to finally get a non-passing grade on an assignment. Still, I'm praying, literally praying to be able to pass this class. I turned in my midterm last week and if I get a C+ or better I'll be doing backflips down the hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment